Ideas from local Australia Day organisers
Here are some ideas of things that have proved successful for some local event organisers in the past.
- Battle of the bands or a band day
- Sporting events such as cricket matches, rugby games etc.
- Swimming competitionsBasketball '3 on 3' competitions
- Movie nights
- Australia Day disco or dance party
- A social evening / afternoon outdoors with a band performing
- Skateboard or rollerblading competitions
Approach local schools and youth clubs to try and get young people involved in volunteering with your Australia Day events.
Fashion parade-where local young people can make an outfit that can be paraded (perhaps theme it 'Australia Day fashions of the future')
Arrange a debate between youth groups or schools about what Australia Day means
Ask kids to write poems/songs about Australia Day, with finalists presenting their poems/songs at your celebrations
Kite flying-encourage people to make Australia Day kites and fly them at the same time on Australia Day.
Prepare clever Aussie anagrams (e.g. how many words can be made from the letters in 'Australia Day'?)
Think up your own great Aussie slogan
Great Aussie puppet show, where kids can make their own puppet