Alison is a passionate promoter of Queensland regional produce and regularly conducts tours in Queensland and interstate to encourage this awareness. With a background as a cookery teacher and caterer, she now works as a food consultant and appears as a guest chef and speaker at conferences and promotional events. Alison believes food has to have a ‘quality’ about it—flavour, hygiene in production, careful handling, ideal growing conditions and sound cooking methods are just some of the criteria which she believes are essential. She also considers the promotion of food by dedicated professionals is essential.
• Appointed Australia’s first Food Fellow by the Queensland Government, April 2011.
• Queensland Food Ambassador Department of Primary Industries and Fisheries, 2005.
• Coordinator, Past Presenter and Moderator for the Hilton Brisbane Master Class, 2003–2010.
• Food Consultant to 612 ABC Radio Brisbane, 1997–present.
• Food Writer for Queensland Country Life and Smart Farmer, 2002–present.
• Queensland Chair of Judges, Restaurant & Catering Australia, 2012.
• Australia Day Ambassador, 2008–present.
• Honorary Council Steward to RNA on Royal Queensland Show Food & Wine Competitions.
• Food Presenter of Garden Platform, RNA, 2012.
• Founder and sole operator of Australian Fine Food Tours, 1994–present.
• Consultant to Tasmanian Government for Savour Tasmania.
• Champion for OzHarvest.
• Co-author of A Generous Helping, published by Harper Collins, 2011.
• Co-founder of The Farmers Markets at the Brisbane Powerhouse and Marina Mirage, Gold Coast.
• Qualified Cookery Judge, Queensland Country Women’s Association (QCWA).
• Food and Wine Director, Ambiwerra Food, Wine and All That Jazz Festival, 2002–2006.
• Co-ordinator for regional events including “Food & Fibre”, 2002, “Steak-out in Richmond”, “Celebration of the Downs–Chinchilla Style”, 2004, “Fire & Water Festival”, Mitchell, 2005 and “Taste of the North West” 2009.
• Recipe Editor for The Good Life Signature Dishes Cookbook, 1999.
• Judge for the Courier-Mail Restaurant Awards and DPI Signature Dish Awards.
• Presenter of Regional Food Workshops in Western Queensland 1999–2009.
• Tutor for Arts West Inc. Winter School 1999 and 2001.
• Food Consultant for Queensland to Australian Meat and Livestock Corporation 1990–1999.
• Cookery teacher College of Tourism and Hospitality, Brisbane 1981–1993.
• Cookery teacher SEQEB Cooking School 1991–1994.
• Memberships: International Association of Culinary Professionals (USA), Food Media Club (Australia), Slow Food Inc (Brisbane Convivium), Australian Food & Wine Tourism Committee, QCWA.
• Born in Queensland.
• Educated at Fairholme College, Toowoomba.
• Married, one daughter.